Tuesday, December 9, 2008

On my way

Moderation is key. I haven't reached my goal yet. I'm feeling almost right on schedule and I'm not pushing it too hard. Yoga certainly has helped me listen, slow down, and then stop without undermining my personal capacity to deliver. I believe that this will be my first marathon and not my last and so maintaining yoga practice has been key. Getting enough sleep and training minimally will get me through this injury.

My yoga teacher's teacher has a method that was adopted by the NY Runner's Club. Beryl Bender Birch (my teacher's teacher), founded the Hard and Soft Yoga Institute. A key axiom to all hatha yoga (the physical practice) is that it is 99% practice. Additionally, in that practice, is the recognition of balancing strength and flexibility-- an effortlessness in the effort. My teacher's, style then is an accumulation of BBB and her own unique interpretation. My practice is all that came before me and my own. The foundation is part of a journey, a direction and an aim without forcing the outcome or pre-defining the results.

Before beginning the Astanga practice, there's a chant where you say, in sanskrit, "Thank you, thank you. Thank you, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you." Thank you: for the time to practice; the health to practice; the patient to practice. It's just practice. So, I hit the pavement (brick and frozen ground) again today, thankful to still be at it.

STATS
4.75 miles
42 minutes (8.8mpm/6.7mph)
2 advil pre run/minimal-no pain!!
no ice bath!
weighted lunges

No comments: